Uganda has no confirmed coronavirus case, Health Ministry clarifies

The Ministry of Health has dismissed a social media post after it claimed that Uganda has confirmed its COVID-19 case.

A statement released on the night of Friday March 20, Ministry of Health has said Uganda is still coronavirus free and urged Ugandans to desist from spreading fake news.

…the ministry of health would like to inform the general public that this is baseless rumor spread by individuals with ill intentions intending to malice the health sector’s efforts to prevent the importation of COVID 19″ Mr. Emmanuel Ainebyoona, the ministry’s spokesperson said.

He said that total of 2,278 travelers including Ugandans and others travelling back home have been identified as high-risk and identified for purposes of follow up and institutional quarantine.

So far, samples from 54 persons who presented with signs and symptoms similar to that of
COVID-19 have been tested.

Out of these, the ministry said, 52 tested have negative while two are pending results from
Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI).

“As of today, he said Uganda has no confirmed case of COVID-19.

Uganda this week banned with immediate effect, travellers from category one countries in terms of the epidemic for 32 days in an unprecedented move to seal its borders amid the coronavirus crisis.

These countries are Italy, France, South Korea, China, USA, United Kingdom, Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Norway Austria, Malaysia, Pakistan, and San Marino.

The measure is also expected to apply to all out-bound movement by Ugandans to or through these countries, again, for 32 days.

President Museveni in a televised address said foreigners going to those countries are free to do so provided they do not intend to come back within the prohibited time.

The travel ban will affect all non-Uganda nationals from visiting the country.

“We cannot stop Ugandans coming back from abroad, even from the category one countries that I read above. However, such Ugandans will be put in mandatory quarantine in a designated place but they will pay the cost for their institutional quarantine ? food, etc. If they want to avoid that inconvenience or cost, they can sit out the storm in the country of their temporary abode.”

Museveni said the measures were agreed on Monday afternoon by the cabinet under his chairmanship.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *