The coronavirus was confirmed in the Chinese city of Wuhan on January 7, 2020. Cases have since been confirmed in over 80 countries across the globe.
The World Health Organisation, WHO, has since declared it a public health emergency of international dimensions. WHO chief Tedros Ghebereyesus said whiles China had a robust health system to detect and control, his outfit remained concerned about the virus entering country’s with weak systems.
Almost all African governments have publicly put in place strict screening at points of entry especially airports. Cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco, Egypt, Senegal and Nigeria. African airlines have cancelled scheduled flights to China except for Ethiopian Airlines.
Coronaviruses are a family of viruses that range from the common cold to MERS coronavirus, which is Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus and SARS, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus.
In this article, we will share the latest developments as authorities implement measures to contain the spread of the virus, especially on the African continent.SUGGESTED READING: rolling coverage of the coronavirus outbreak in Africa
- Cameroon gets second case
- Togo confirms first case
- Cameroon confirms first case
- Twitter CEO cancels planned work trip to Africa
- Kenya identifies high-risk areas
- Three major conferences postponed
- South Africa records first case
- Cases more than double in Algeria
- 2 South Africans recover from coronavirus
- Tunisia suspends ferry services to Northern Italy
- Senegal records two new cases
- Africa Basketball League postponed
- Tanzania bans shaking hands
- Kenyans sharing fake news to be charged
- Senegal records second case
- Zimbabwe to deport foreigners without ‘medical clearance’
- Morocco records first case, sixth case in Africa
- Senegal, Tunisia confirm first cases
- Egypt confirms second coronavirus case
- Algeria confirms two more coronavirus cases
- Kenya suspends all flights from China
- Nigeria records first case
Togo government confirms index case
The Togo government has confirmed that the country has recorded its first coronavirus case. In a statement issued via social media, the government stressed that its preparedness was in full gear.
The said patient is a 42-year-old woman who is resident in the capital Lome along with her family. She entered Togo via land border of Sanvi Condji on March 2, 2020.
The statement added that her travel history showed that she had between 22 February till entering Togo been shuttling between Benin, Germany, France and Turkey.
She has since been isolated as authorities move to identify all possible contacts. Meanwhile a crisis committee meeting to be led by President Faure Gnassingbe is scheduled for later today.
Egypt confirms 12 new cases
Egypt’s health ministry on Friday announced had detected 12 cases of new coronavirus among staff on board a cruise ship on the Nile River in the south of the country.
The health ministry said in a statement that the 12 cases were detected in Egyptian employees on a cruise ship travelling from Aswan to Luxor, two tourist sites in Upper Egypt, “without showing any symptoms” of the disease.
The authorities were alerted after a Taiwanese tourist “of American origin” who had traveled on the boat was found to be the source of the spread of the disease, according to the joint statement with the World Health Organization (WHO).
The 12 Egyptian employees suspected of being infected had been quarantined and tested positive for Covid-19 at the end of their two-week confinement.
Other tourists who came into contact with the Taiwanese tourist were also quarantined, according to the press release.
Egypt which was the first country in Africa to report a case of coronavirus, had so far confirmed three cases including a Chinese man who has since recovered, bringing the number of confirmed cases in the country to 15.
Cameroon confirms first case of coronavirus
Cameroon’s health minister Dr. Malachie Manaouda on Friday confirmed the first case of the coronavirus in the country.
The victim has been identified as a 58-year-old French national who arrived in the country on February 24.
‘‘The case was placed in solitary confinement in th Care Center of the Yaounde Central Hospital for appropriate treatment,’‘ read part of the minister’s statement.
Manaouda also reassured the country that government has put in place measures to prevent the spread of the virus.